Past Events

See menu on right for past events from other years

2018

August 2018: Visit to the Church of the Good Shepherd and the Old School, Tatham Fells

Around 40 members and visitors enjoyed this fascinating afternoon in Tatham Fells. John Wilson started with a short illustrated talk, in the Old School, on the history of Tatham Fells Chapel – which goes back to 1577 at least – and of the church that was built to replace it in the late 1880s. We then visited the church, and had a rare opportunity to ascend the exceptionally compact spiral staircase to the bell room in the tower. We returned to the Old School – which has long enjoyed a new role as Tatham’s village hall – where Mike Winstanley summarised its history, from opening in 1863 to closure in 1961, when the school relocated to new premises in Lowgill. After which came refreshments and a chance to examine an exhibition of archive material assembled by the speakers.

Click any image to enlarge and scroll forward/back.

 

May 2018: Field Trip – Reading the Tatham landscape

On a beautiful spring afternoon, Edward Huddleston led a small but enthusiastic party on a walk planned to illustrate his earlier lecture on the interpretation of the humps, hollows and other features of the landscape, and what they can tell us about the history of a place. After meeting at Tunstall House, Edward gave a short introductory talk on the way the very earliest farms had been created in mediaeval times by enclosure of roughly circular areas of moorland. These early farms can often be identified by a number of characteristic features, including the curved perimeter wall, the siting of the farm buildings at the top of the enclosure, availability of water, and a beck skirting the boundary, except at points where the boundary deviates to create a watering site for livestock.

On the walk, Edward challenged us to identify examples of such features, and to try to explain other banks ands ditches, humps and hollows, and to work out how the process of cultivating moorland had continued gradually, well into the 19th century, to leave the field patterns that exist today.

THS is very grateful to Anthony and Lou Kitchen of Tunstall House, and friends, for the use of their parking, and for excellent garden refreshments!

Click any image to enlarge and scroll forward/back.

March 2018: World War I Exhibition

An exhibition devoted to memories of the First World War, and in particular to the involvement of local people. The event was staged jointly by THS and the Friends of St. James the Less. During the afternoon talks were given by Stephen Roberts, Mike Winstanley and John Wilson, recalling particular battles local people were involved in, and describing the backgrounds of some of those listed in the Rolls of Honour in both St. James the Less Church and the Church of the Good Shepherd.

Click here for a more detailed report

Click any image to enlarge and scroll forward/back.
Our thanks to Susan Bourne and John Parkinson for the photos.